The Silver Foundation Essay Contest
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO PARTICIPATED IN THE ESSAY CONTEST!
*THE DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO JANUARY 9TH!
BALLET BEYOND BORDERS 2019 ESSAY CONTEST!
Cash prizes awarded thanks to the Silver Foundation.
All essays due by January 9th, 2019 10pm Mountain Time
Please use the link below to upload your essay to dropbox. If you have issues using the link please contact us. Winners will be announced on January 12th, 2019.
Children, Student, Junior Essay Questions no more than 500 words
1. If you could create a dance for any character, who would it be and why?
Feel very free to choose any character you like — Here are some examples:
Peter Rabbit, any character from Winnie the Pooh, Harry Potter, Peter Pan, Little Red Riding Hood, Alice in Wonderland, any character from The Wizard of Oz. And don’t forget the charters who aren’t so nice — The witch in the Wizard of Oz, the Wolf in Little Red Riding Hood. Plenty of villains in Harry Potter. And then there’s always Captain Hook.
2. Choose someone you admire in the world of dance. It can be a teacher, a friend, someone you’ve seen on stage or at the movies, someone you’ve read about, or anyone else you choose. Why do you admire them? What can you learn from them.
Senior & Professional Essay Question no more than 750 words
According to the The American Civil Liberties Union website, censorship, the suppression of words, images, or ideas that are “offensive,” happens whenever some people succeed in imposing their personal, political, or moral values on others. Censorship can be carried out by the government as well as private pressure groups. In the United States, censorship by the government is unconstitutional.
Please write about this issue by answering no less than two of the following questions:
1. How do you see your role in promoting artistic freedom?
2. What does the dance you are bringing to BBB communicate?
3. What is the role of metaphor in art, writing, and/or dance?
4. Can you think of a time when what you wanted to express something but it was suppressed by an outside source: any person or group in authority over you.
5. Can you give an example of censorship?